I know this has nothing to do with a farm share (ostensibly, my only excuse to tell the internet what I eat), but it was very well received, and someone asked me for the whipped cream recipe, so I figured I'd share the love.

The cool and wintry weather reminded me of gingerbread this past weekend and once I'd thought of it, I couldn't get it out of my head. My grandmother made gingerbread when it got cold and we always ate it warm with butter and I loved it.


I think my version was a success. I used sorghum (a sweet syrup made from sorghum grass) instead of regular molasses (made from sugarcane or sugar beets). My dad sent me the sorghum from a farm in my hometown, which sort of added to the nostalgia.

I was talking to Nana about making it on Sunday and she mentioned a whipped cream that her mother used to serve it with (my grandfather, thus the rest of us, preferred just butter). She dug out her old cookbook and found me a recipe for honey ginger whipped cream. I served the two together at Small Group on Monday night and I think it was a hit.

Nana's Gingerbread with Daddy's Sorghum
2.5 cups all purpose ("plain" in the recipe) flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup sorghum (or molasses)
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. salt

Cut waxed paper to fit the bottom of two 9" cake pans. Slowly beat all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, scraping well until it's all combined. Then beat on medium constantly for 3 minutes. Pour into pans and bake at 325 for about 35 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Honey Ginger Whipped Cream
2 cups chilled whipping cream
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp. ground ginger

Beat in a chilled bowl until stiff. Refrigerate at least an hour before serving.