Wow, we feel behind. Combine a massive, never-ending freelancing project with a week in China and two big upcoming presentations for Kyle, and we've been a tad bit preoccupied. Plus, of course, I broke the stovetop again.

However...the Eat-a-Thon/Eat-a-Ton has been going steadily, and since I wrote this post before China, you can read it now while I try to get caught up. Here are some highlights of our recent life in food.

The night we got back from Bali we had chapati at the Azmi Restaurant that was rated Die Die Must Try. Chapati is a flat bread made with whole wheat flour and cooked on a griddle popular in Northern India. I had mine with keema, minced mutton curry, and it was very good!


We visited Sungei Road Laksa with a group of friends and it also gets a Die Die Must Try rating. Laksa is a spicy rice noodle dish made with chili, blue ginger, garlic, shallots, shrimp, seafood stock, cockles, and coconut milk. I'd say it's related to gumbo but with Southeast Asian spices. For $2 we got huge bowls and it was really good. I was expecting burn-the-tastebuds spicy, but it wasn't. I could still taste all the yummy flavors. The guy making it keeps that huge pot steaming (as you can see) over a charcoal fire all day.



This is a "snake fruit" which Wikipedia tells me is more accurately known as a salak. It's good, but it has a funny texture. It's a very dry fruit. Not at all juicy like I'd expect.


I had traditional Chinese hot pot with some girlfriends the other night. It's very much like fondu and is apparently a common meal at New Year's for Chinese families because it's easy food for a group. The red broth is spicy, the white broth is regular chicken broth. We've got pork, chicken, beef, fish and tons of veggies to cook in the soup.



Kyle makes some awesome blueberry pancakes most Saturdays.


There's an Austrian guy selling German sausages at a stall in Chinatown. He's been there for years and is a fixture. Very good German sausages. (But crappy instant mashed potatoes.)


There's also someone selling roasted chestnuts in Chinatown. The first time I saw him I said, "Oh, it reminds me of New York at Christmas!" where someone is selling chestnuts on every corner. Emily said it reminded her of Shanghai. So apparently roasted chestnuts are quite cross-cultural.


There's a food center near our church that has Die Die Must Try nasi lamak and soto ayam, a spicy chicken soup with rice cakes. Kyle's having the nasi lamak (very good) I'm having mee soto (soup with noodles instead of rice cakes) because they were already out of soto ayam. It was good, but I want to get there before they run out of soto ayam at some point!

This is the log cake that our real estate agent brought us for Christmas. Log cakes are quite a big deal in Singapore for the Christmas holidays! As you can see, they come highly decorated! Ours was chocolate with a cherry core. It was pretty yum too.